Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:50:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CROWD FUNDING ASIC  (Read 6356 times)
papamoi (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 06:26:15 PM

HI Guys

as everybody should know ,i m trying to make my own asic.But costs of NRE is making things difficult.

Recently i ve been working with a design house who came with the following:
 of an asic based on 65 nm and with a hashing speed of 0.7/0.8 gigahash/sec.

With a QFN package the NRE(design+full mask+packaging+design of pcb) will be around 900 000 on wich we ll get around 120 000 chips .

These chips will give us 84 terahash/sec this mean a our cost for the first 84 terahash will be around 10700 usd and a cost per chip of 7.5 usd/chips.

My idea is the following:

People who are ready to buy the first 84 terahash at the cost price of 7.5 usd/chip or 10700 usd/terahash will have the possibility to order twice the hashing power (in chips) 3 usd/chip or 4280 usd/terahash.

The next sales will be at a discounted price for the first comers and kickstarters.

P.s i ll put myself 20/100 of the amount to get this done.

The design is almost ready and we need now to go to tape-out and have the funds ready as soon as possible.

I m thinking to put this on a crowd funding website to get this done properly so any suggestion at this point would be welcome.

I would prefer to have limited participant in order to get some wholesalers  who then we ll distribute their chips as they like but i don t want to limit anyone in this

Please forward your comment/thought here or thru pm

thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atcsecure

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 06:28:10 PM

I'm game, I think this entire ASIC bullshit is just that - BULLSHIT

Avalon takes $8million+  and delivers nothing.. screwing over Western customers...

ASIC's are pretty much a scam unless you in on the design side

Join the revolution - XC - Decentralized Trustless Multi-Node Private Transactions
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:52:37 PM

Hmm

Noone seems interested

Well Well

atomriot

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 11:33:28 PM

crowdsourcing at attractive prices seems like a good idea but everyone knows the proper way to make asic miners
1.) is to design something that works really well and is currently profitable
2 - a.) mine with them until you make back your money.
2 - b.) take pre-orders posting current mining stats as "speculated stats" or "prototype stats"
3.) fulfill the pre-orders and sell them for just under what they would ever in their lifetime make back.

if you upset that balance, then a lot of people will be out of jobs in the mining hardware scene (aka making it an honest trade)

so far that seems like the business plan of the most successful mining hardware vendors. well that and just selling older hardware at prices that will just barely break even before being useless (cost of power > btc output)

I have no proof, just speculation and observation of current scenarios. Only time will tell with all the current pre-order hardware. but it is always very convenient that the hardware that comes out will just barely break even on mining. then the mining companies just say "its an investment into bitcoin"

The only way to make money on btc mining seems to be buy big, mine a little, sell the hardware before its useless to hopefully have coins while breaking even. and the only way to make money on bitcoin (apart from selling hardware) seems to be to buy low / sell high on the exchanges.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 02:34:00 AM

With a QFN package the NRE(design+full mask+packaging+design of pcb) will be around 900 000 on wich we ll get around 120 000 chips .

These chips will give us 84 terahash/sec this mean a our cost for the first 84 terahash will be around 10700 usd and a cost per chip of 7.5 usd/chips.

Too little too late. $900k for 84 TH/s several months from now best-case scenario? Buy 10 reels of Bitfury chips and you'll have them next month doing 80 TH/s. Far easier and more profitable.

Buy & Hold
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:29:48 AM

Too little too late. $900k for 84 TH/s several months from now best-case scenario? Buy 10 reels of Bitfury chips and you'll have them next month doing 80 TH/s. Far easier and more profitable.

Compare the price,we are ready to tae out so chips will be out in 2 months or so

how much is the cost of 10 reels?

just make your calculation
BTCscraper

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:06:38 AM

Is it possible for the design house to go direct to 28nm or smaller, and for the net device price to be $3 per gh/s or less for delivery in 4 months?  That's what you're up against right now.

Butterfly Labs has a different interpretation of the FTC Mail Order Rule.  You do not have a refund option with the BFL Monarch no matter how late they ship.
"... In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." -- Albert Einstein
"Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get." -- Ray Kroc
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:08:05 AM

the cost will be much higher if we go for the 28nm

at the moment this is the best deal we ve got.

mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:49:10 AM

Great idea, but too little, too late unfortunately. Those prices just aren't competitive anymore unless the chips were available TODAY.
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:40:16 AM

Great idea, but too little, too late unfortunately. Those prices just aren't competitive anymore unless the chips were available TODAY.

make your own calculation

in my eyes it still doable and profitable
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:08:08 PM

I've spoken to a few.  While 65nm could work you are probably better off teaming with someone like bitfury and buy a bulk of chips for cheaper.   I mean that you could use a hundred thousand or more and bitfury's tech to have chips packaged at a high volume discount.

As I speak now I know 3 or 4 companies already doing 28nm.

The next generation chips will be 28nm or even 14-20nm.  If you do come up with 65nm you are coming up a little late in the game.  Especially being that there are already multicore ASIC chips out.
GodfatherBond

Activity: 264

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:26:26 PM

Why not decide amount... buy ready chips when available at good discount (bitfury, cointerra, bitmine etc...) and team up with some assembly and find cheap electrity place for hosting ready units and share income based on investments? Payments just before chip buy and assembly etc. just small % for covering managing & hosting etc.
bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2013, 04:00:45 PM by bobsag3

I've spoken to a few.  While 65nm could work you are probably better off teaming with someone like bitfury and buy a bulk of chips for cheaper.   I mean that you could use a hundred thousand or more and bitfury's tech to have chips packaged at a high volume discount.

The next generation chips will be 28nm or even 14-20nm.  If you do come up with 65nm you are coming up a little late in the game.  Especially being that there are already multicore ASIC chips out.
10 reels of bitfury for 30k total chips is ~675k euros as a heads up, unless there is a bulk discount.
mgio

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:52:53 PM

How can it compete with Cointerra which is only $3500 for 1 TH/s?
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:40:57 PM

Well

after the mask is paid ,see my post the chips will be very cheap so the first run will be higher then it ll go dramatically down

so there is big chance that we ll be still be profitable

and there is an important difference:people investing here will be partners with us and not customers

comparing to other projects

papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:46:53 PM

I've spoken to a few.  While 65nm could work you are probably better off teaming with someone like bitfury and buy a bulk of chips for cheaper.   I mean that you could use a hundred thousand or more and bitfury's tech to have chips packaged at a high volume discount.

The next generation chips will be 28nm or even 14-20nm.  If you do come up with 65nm you are coming up a little late in the game.  Especially being that there are already multicore ASIC chips out.
10 reels of bitfury for 30k total chips is ~675k euros as a heads up, unless there is a bulk discount.

ok then i ll have to pay him again ?the same amount for having more chips?

here once the mask paid ,i intend to sell chips at costs price (greed is not part of me)

bitfury has an agreement with me he didn t fullfill , i ve posted about it several times if you have read my previous posts

so i m not seriously interested in working with someone who doesnt respect his own comitment

i hope this is clear

bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:50:04 PM

ok then i ll have to pay him again ?the same amount for having more chips?

here once the mask paid ,i intend to sell chips at costs price (greed is not part of me)

bitfury has an agreement with me he didn t fullfill , i ve posted about it several times if you have read my previous posts

so i m not seriously interested in working with someone who doesnt respect his own comitment

i hope this is clear

I wasnt suggesting we go with them - just putting number our there for everyone else.
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:07:12 PM

ok got you
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:08:41 AM

i m opening the same thread in securities